WELCOME TO THE REGISTRAR'S PORTFOLIOThe Registrar is secretary to Council, Senate and Convocation, and head of the University’s academic administration. Academic administration refers to the management and governance of the academic life-cycle of the student, from application to graduation. The Registrar is responsible for institutional governance and is the University’s chief compliance officer. Other responsibilities include the external assurance of academic programme approval, accreditation and registration, as well as the establishing and maintaining of student administrative and management information systems. Departments and functions within the Registrar’s portfolio include, but are not limited to, 竞彩足球比分 Administration, Secretariat, Documents, Records and Archives Management Services (DRAMS), UWC Contact Centre, Academic Administration Training & Development Unit (AATDU), International 竞彩足球比分s Services, Business Continuity, Compliance and Data Management of Agreements and Contracts.
As Registrar, it is my singular pleasure to wish you a cheerful and warm welcome to UWC, your university of choice! The staff in the Registrar’s Division, as well as in the faculties and academic departments, are all very excited to be a part of this exciting journey that you have embarked upon. Our goal is to make your student experience as positive and pleasant as possible. We know you may be faced with various challenges along the way, and we are willing to listen and assist you in overcoming these in the best possible manner.
As a team, we are committed to the University’s five-year Institution Operating Plan (IOP) and have identified student- and staff-centredness as one of our core goals. Coupled with this is the commitment to providing you the most efficient and ethical service at all times. Please visit our webpage to familiarise yourself with the services we provide and whom to contact for assistance. The team is constantly exploring ways to improve our services and we welcome constructive suggestions on how we can be of better service to you.
We wish you well on your journey and look forward to celebrating your successes with you during this time, and when you graduate.
POLICIES, RULES AND PROCEDURES
- To improve awareness and knowledge of academic administrative policies, rules and procedures
- To align central and faculty administration
QUALITY ASSURANCE & RISK MANAGEMENT
- To improve quality assurance and risk management of the enrolment processes
- To improve planning and coordination of scheduled administrative events
- To develop benchmarks for professional service and a framework for common values
- To create a conducive physical environment for professional service delivery
- Accountability and integrity
- Commitment and respect
- Professionalism and continuous improvement
- Teamwork and open communication
- Service excellence and continuous improvement
REGISTRAR’S FOCUS AREASWithin the Registrar’s Portfolio, the strategic focus is centred around professional academic and administrative support services with the goal to strategically attract, retain and enable the development of students in line with UWC’s vision and mission. In addition to this, the Registrar’s Portfolio is committed to ensuring strategic human resources management and employment equity whilst maintaining and encouraging effective leadership, management and governance.
Key Focus Areas:Academic Administration
- 竞彩足球比分 Enrolment: Applications, Selections, Registration, 竞彩足球比分 Records, Examinations, Promotions and Graduation
- Qualifications Register: Accreditation with SAQA, HEQC, Alignment and Auditing of Qualifications Database
- Official Publication on Academic Matters: Yearbooks and Calendars
- Document Records and Archiving
- 竞彩足球比分 Contact Centre
- Internal and External Regulatory Framework, e.g. Institutional Statute, HE Act, POPIA
- Secretary to Council and Senate
- Support to Institutional Forum and Other Committees
- Academic Policies and Rules
- Deputy Information Officer
- Application for Permission to Conduct 竞彩足球比分 On Campus
- International Exchange Agreements and Other Contractual Matters (Record keeping)
The Academic Administration Training & Development Unit (AATDU) is a division within the Office of the Deputy Registrar: Academic Administration. This Unit, established in September 2015, forms part of the Registrar's Portfolio at UWC. The general focus of this Unit is information and quality management as it relates to academic administration.
Our vision is to be recognised for professional service excellence, regarded as knowledgeable, always supportive of issues and needs, and seen as an integral "part of the solution".
Our goal is to support and serve the UWC community excellently by ensuring that our services are professional, student- and staff-centred, optimised by technology and complies with good governance.
The aim of the Academic Administration Training & Development Unit is to advance academic administration and to support the Registrar's institutional strategic goals and imperatives through:
- Academic Administration and 竞彩足球比分 Enrolment Management System (SEMS) Internal Audits and Risk Management
- Academic Administration Business Process Mapping
- Academic Administration Training and Development
- Agreements and Contracts Registry Management
- Class Timetable Coordination
- Qualification and Continuing Education Courses Database Management and Quality Assurance
- SEMS Access Management, User Support and Parameter Maintenance
- 竞彩足球比分 Enrolment Information Management and Process Quality Assurance
- University Calendars and Academic Diary Coordination and Publication
The Academic Administration, Training & Development Unit is a division within the Office of the Deputy Registrar: Academic Administration. Among others, the Unit provides a comprehensive training programme that equips UWC administrative and support staff with the necessary skills to perform operational requirements.
Academic Administration, Training & Development Unit
We provide training for the following systems on campus:
- 竞彩足球比分 Administration System Integration (SASI)
- Committee Management System (CMS)
- 竞彩足球比分 Tracking System (STS)
- New and existing staff members to learn how to perform the various SASI, CMS and STS functions related to their core responsibilities.
- Each training session equips the participant with the necessary theoretical knowledge, as well as practical demonstration on the different application platforms.
- Administrative and professional staff members, including academic staff who are involved in:
- 竞彩足球比分 applications and selections,
- Curriculum advising,
- Postgraduate administration,
- Committee management and administration,
- Teaching and learning,
- Lecturing, and
Access to the University's systems are strictly managed by the Office and adhere to the principles of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA). Access to our 竞彩足球比分 Administration System and other systems are limited to UWC employees only. 竞彩足球比分s and teaching assistants are not permitted to have access to any UWC information system.
We in the Department of 竞彩足球比分 Administration support the Registrar’s mission and vision by promoting and contributing to a university centred on professionalism and service excellence. At 竞彩足球比分 Administration, our goal is to become ‘invisible’, ensuring that processes happen without anyone even knowing that something is being done. The journey in realising an Administration that is ‘invisible’ is neither simple nor without its critics. However, it is a target that must constantly be aimed for. In order to achieve this level of effectiveness, we must be relevant to the changes of the 21st century and couple that with a high level of efficiency and reliability.
To achieve these goals, it is necessary, at times, to reconsider why and how we do what we do. 竞彩足球比分 Administration, along with the Office of the Registrar, has begun such a process by re-engineering the structure of 竞彩足球比分 Administration. The new structure of 竞彩足球比分 Administration now has the International 竞彩足球比分s Services Office (ISSO), Faculty Liaison Office (FLO), 竞彩足球比分 Administration Helpdesk, and Examinations and Graduations Office (EGO). It is envisaged that this structure will allow us to function at an optimal level. Aligned with this new structure is the reviewing of our processes and refinement of these where necessary. The drive behind all our processes will be the use of the SASI system to its full capacity.
竞彩足球比分 Administration includes the following functions:
- Examination and Graduation Office
- Faculty Liaison Office
- International 竞彩足球比分s Services Office
- 竞彩足球比分 Administration Helpdesk
The University of the Western Cape runs a fully functional Contact Centre with trained, professional agents who are equipped to deal with all student-related queries.The Centre offers students and related role players a client-orientated service through a single point of contact, providing improved efficiency and facilitating detailed measurement and planning.
UWC Contact Centre
Learn more about our Contact Centre by visiting the Admission and 竞彩足球比分 section on this website.
The SecretariatThe Secretariat resides within the portfolio of the Registrar under the management of the Deputy Registrar: Secretariat and Policy Management.
The Secretariat provides secretarial support to the Council, Senate and certain sub-committees.
In addition to providing secretarial support to the Council, Senate and certain sub-committees, the Secretariat is responsible for providing advice to committees on procedures that would enhance good governance and maintain the repository of the main institutional regulatory universe. In addition, the Secretariat, on behalf of the Registrar, is responsible for the safekeeping of official committee documents.
Our vision is to provide a professional, proactive and accountable service to all our stakeholders.
The Department of Documents, Records and Archives Management Services (DRAMS) was established to ensure the establishment of a formal, efficient, legally compliant and legally defensible records and archives management programme at UWC. DRAMS exist to fulfil the University’s commitments to develop effective structures and conventions of governance, which are democratic, transparent and accountable.
Documents, Records and Archives Management Services (DRAMS)
- As the official repository for the institutional archives of the University of the Western Cape, the University Archives compiles a record of the significant activities carried out in the fulfillment of UWC’s mission. The Archives preserves records as a resource for the University community and promotes the use of the collection by faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the general public.
- Records Management supports the ongoing integrity of record-keeping at UWC, affecting both current and long-term documentation, and in this capacity supports and enhances the development of the University Archives.
- All records, whether historically important or not, have legal retention requirements related to the function attending their creation. Some records are destroyed at the end of this required retention period, while others are preserved as historical records. The Central Records Office (CRO) stores records temporarily (at some point the records will either be destroyed or transferred into archival custody), whereas an Archives stores permanent, historical records. The DRAMS carry out both functions for UWC.
The Governance structures of the University are:
- Council Committees
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees of Senate and Council
Deputy Registrar: Academic AdministrationDr Ahmed Shaikjee
+27 21 959 2110
Ms Natasha Schoeman
Office Administrator - Deputy Registrar: Academic Administration
+27 21 959 2110
Ms Sanchia van Staden
Manager: Academic Administration Training and Development Unit (AATDU)
+27 21 959 3795 / 2814
Mr Lesley Richards
Coordinator: Academic Programme and Publications
+27 21 959 3343
Ms Ludi-May Allie
Training and Development Unit
+27 021 959 2022
Ms Dimpho Ndala
+27 21 959 4121
Mrs Maryna Talliard
+27 21 959 3795
Ms Aslena Martin-Van Willigh
+27 21 959 2814
Examinations and Graduations OfficeMr Clayton Alexander - COORDINATOR
+27 21 959 2359
Mr Jerome Simmery - Coordinator
Helpdesk and 竞彩足球比分 Support
+27 21 959 2553
Mr Khwezi Bonani - Coordinator
International 竞彩足球比分 Services Office
+27 21 959 2763
Mr Riaan Niekerk - Coordinator
+27 21 959 2198
SECRETARIAT AND POLICY MANAGEMENT
?Deputy Registrar: Secretariat and Policy ManagementMs Tamima Talip
+27 21 959 2727
Ms Heidie Bastian
Office Administrator - Deputy Registrar: Secretariat and Policy Management
+27 21 959 2727
Ms Kaylin Lakey
+27 21 959 2727
Ms Shanon Copperfield (Senior Committee Officer)
Secretariat Committee Officers
+27 21 959 2146
Mr William Boraine
+27 21 959 3100
Ms Mercia Mottie
+27 21 959 9479
Ms Ntombekhaya Nkhola
+27 21 959 2204
Ms Kim Lindeboom
+27 21 959 9556
Mr Gezani Hobyani
+27 21 959 2956
UWC Contact Centre SwitchboardOperating hours: Monday to Friday, 08:20 – 16:30, closed on weekends and public holidays
+27 21 959 2911